GREENGUARD GOLD CERTIFICATION
All of our prefinished products are GREENGUARD GOLD certified. GREENGUARD Certified products are certified to GREENGUARD standards for low chemical emissions into indoor air during product usage. For more information, visit ul.com/gg.
QUALITY OF OUR FINISHES
PG Flooring uses products not harmful for the environment or customers. The finish applied to our flooring boards contains an antimicrobial agent intended to prevent the proliferation of microorganisms such as bacteria, fungi, viruses and parasites. Moreover, the nature of the finish (100% UV) means no emissions into the ambient air, nothing volatile and no particles. The solvent content in formaldehyde or VOCs (volatile organic compounds) of the products used to finish our flooring boards presents no risk in terms of polluting emissions and is not harmful to human health.
Origin of Raw Material
Most of our products are offered with the FSC® certification. The Forest Stewardship Council® is an international non-governmental organization which promotes environmentally appropriate, socially beneficial, and economically viable management of the world’s forests. To learn more visit fsc.org.
PROTECTION OF OUR FORESTS
At PG Flooring, we are aware of the issues facing the forests of today and tomorrow. This is why we want to participate actively in the protection of our forests with the assurance that responsible forest management decisions taken today will guarantee a promising future.
PG Flooring is committed to avoiding use of non-certified wood from controversial sources. Therefore, we refrain from using the following wood:
- Wood harvested from forests affected by persistent social conflict;
- Wood from highly protected non-certified sources;
- Genetically modified wood;
- Wood harvested illegally;
- Wood from natural forests converted to plantations or non-forest use.
Consideration for Raw Material
The following are measures taken in-house to encourage responsible forest management and protect the environment:
- We produce five different board widths. Five widths offer the best combinations and the least waste.
- Because boards arrive in random widths, we are now including a new width of 5 1/4 inches (133.35 mm). This new width will replace the 2 1/2 inch width that, at PG alone, accounted for 6500 trees saved annually. The addition of the 5 1/4 inch maintains our “going green” initiative, increasing product yield by 7% and saving trees.
- The average yield of manufacturing companies in North America is 65%. Through important prevention and conservation measures applied to raw material and the production process, we have been able to obtain an average yield exceeding 85%. This means that for 10 million board feet of wood used, we obtain 8.5 million board feet of finished products. This represents 1 million more board feet than the North American average. This extraordinary yield has a positive impact on the forest in the form of more than 16 500 trees.
Measures established at PG Flooring
• More than 80% of our raw material supplies come from less than 200 km away.
• Following a $3.5 million investment in 2010, new cutting edge equipment now allows us to achieve a material yield approaching 86%.
• Not only our products are eligible for FSC® certification, but we cooperate actively in the certification of our suppliers, thereby benefiting the entire industry.
• Eco-design criteria are integrated into our product development process.
• All waste wood is put to use, either to heat our buildings and kilns or through the sale of shavings to the melamine sheet wood industry, wood pellet manufacturers and farmers.
• We also recycle all waste other than wood (paper, cardboard, metal, chemical and plastic products).
• The heat generated by our equipment is recovered to heat our plants.
• Our products contribute to LEED credits.
• Our finishes are COV-free (volatile organic compounds) and formaldehyde-free.
• We are generating approximately 12,000 carbon credits per year, available for sale.
• Teleworking and videoconferencing are increasingly being adopted by our administrative employees, reducing the CO2 emissions coming from our cars.
• All of our premises are Led-lighted.
• In 2015, all our propane-fueled forklifts were replaced by battery-electric vehicles.